Blogs > Ann DeMatteo's Why Us?

Since my breast cancer diagnosis on June 9, 2008, I have spent a fairly decent amount of time wondering "why me?" I would like to hear from you about your cancer stories. Let's create a dialogue of learning, sharing and hope.



Sunday, August 30, 2009

Can't believe it's September

Hi Folks,
Hope you enjoyed my Aug. 30 column in the Sunday Register about the Rev. William Killeen. He's so inspiring.
I apologize for not checking in so often. Covering two towns, plus writing a weekly column, is tough to do.
I've been quite tired lately, and my knees and lower back often ache. Don't know if it's the Arimidex, old age or just being overweight.
I'm trying to put together a program, to kick off in October, that will deal with weight loss for breast cancer patients and other folks. I already have one doctor willing to help but I'm open to suggestions.
Ann

3 Comments:

Blogger EastSider said...

Ann,
Just found your blog while spending time with my mother, who is battling gastric cancer.
I wish I had a answer to why anyone gets this cruel disease. Only God knows why, and I wish we caould find the answers.

I'll include you in my prayers tonight. Good luck.

September 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM 
Blogger Linda Robertson-Matson said...

Ann,

I just read your blog. Many months ago I stood next to you at the deli at Stop and Shop. It was so nice to speak with you. You are so down to earth.

I hope you are enjoying this sunny day and all I can say is you are in my thoughts.

My Mom has had lung cancer since about the Fall of 2002. Me and my three siblings and two nephews have all learned to live with it. When one person in the family has cancer everyone feels the effects of it. Do you know what I mean? When Mom has a tough day we all are there for her. We listen to what she has to say. It is important for her to talk about it and be heard. We appreciate our days now more so than ever before and we thank God for all we have. Cancer affects the entire family. It makes each day a special day. My Mom's cancer is probably from second hand smoke. Love and positive thoughts have helped her tremendously since she has never had chemotherapy or surgery. Meanwhile, one of my beloved sisters works in the field of oncology. We are so proud of my sister for the work she does to help others.

Ann, you are most welcome to come and join the Whitney Creative Writing Group located at Books & Company, 1235 Whiteny Avenue. We write poetry, non-fiction and fiction. We meet from 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. the first three Fridays and fourth Thursday of each month. We have a cup of coffee or tea and listen to each other's work. It is fun! We are about 11 members. Come join us if you can. We would love to have you.


Linda Robertson-Matson
Hamden Resident

October 19, 2009 at 2:55 PM 
Blogger Ann DeMatteo said...

Hi Joe,
I'm sorry for your mother's cancer. Thank you for the prayers.
Hi Linda,
You're right about everyone in the family being affected when one has cancer. However, in my family, I'm the rock so it's like I was never sick. I would like to come to the writing group, but I'm usually working until 9 or 10, so I don't know if I can ever make it.
Ann

October 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home