Blogs > Ann DeMatteo's Why Us?

Since my breast cancer diagnosis on June 9, 2008, I have spent a fairly decent amount of time wondering "why me?" I would like to hear from you about your cancer stories. Let's create a dialogue of learning, sharing and hope.



Friday, October 24, 2008

Making Strides Walk/Lebed Method class

Hi Folks,
I hope you enjoy my newest video. It has pictures from a Lebed Method class I particiapted in on Oct. 12 and from the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk at Lighthouse Point Park on Oct. 19. I'm especially fond of the video because it features my friend and special angel, Miss Connecticut 2008 Ashley Glenn. Ashley is a physical therapy doctorate student at Quinnipiac University and she promotes thriving, not merely surving, a focus on healing, through the Lebed Method, for her community service platform in the Miss America program. She is a certified Lebed Method instructor and so I'm enjoying promoting her cause as well. (As a member of the Miss Connecticut Board of Directors, it's not too hard for me to do.) While Ashley is promoting the program locally, she will introduce it to the nation when she competes in Miss America in January. The Lebed Method is a mild, therapeutic exercise program that opens up the lymphatic vessels and aids people with lymphedema, fibromyalgia and other illnesses. It is especially helpful to breast cancer survivors whose arms swell after lymph node removal. I'll be writing more about lymphedema in a future column.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pink Too said...

Hi Ann,
I went for my sentinel node biopsy but no sentinel node could be found so had a regular axillary node biopsy. Finally some good news- nodes all negative! So now I am seeing an oncologist and will have more tests to determine if I will need chemo in addition the the radiation and hormonal treatments which are a definite. Who would ever imagine saying "I have an oncologist"? I am hoping to avoid chemo if possible, but who knows. The more I read the more confusing it seems, whether chemo would be of any benefit to a case like mine or not. I'll cross that bridge soon. Meanwhile, stay strong in the fight! I think of you often. pink too

October 27, 2008 at 9:50 AM 
Blogger Ann DeMatteo said...

Hi Pink,
It's true that everything is so confusing...and weird. So happy for you that you have no lymph node involvement. Hopefully, you'll avoid chemo, but it isn't that bad.
Ann

October 31, 2008 at 9:08 PM 
Blogger Ann DeMatteo said...

Hi Pink,
It's true that everything is so confusing...and weird. So happy for you that you have no lymph node involvement. Hopefully, you'll avoid chemo, but it isn't that bad.
Ann

October 31, 2008 at 9:08 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home